September 12th, 1763

It was the first weekend at Leyland, which I seriously enjoyed. When Harriet stayed with us, I could bear it quite well to call it my home. When we went to Wortham I started to miss it, but thought it because of all the events concerning Fred and suddenly Harriet as well. When we came back, I was relieved to be here again, to see Miss B and to wander our garden. The quietude of my own chamber was the most luxurious thing... Saturdays dinner for Miss Susan was somewhat satisfactory. Cook did a wonderful job, with Frank as guest the young ladies were well entertained,even I sat down at the harp for one song. Miss Susans presence gave me confidence and I noticed how easy it could be to converse with our neighbours and Lord C's friends; though I cannot remember all we were talking about. Still, cards aren't the thing for me.
Sundays service was rather short in content, though not necessarily in lenght. But afterwards Miss Susan and I visited Mrs Higgenbotham. Miss Susan thinks her funny - possibly in a more urban way, as she is far more in elegant society than Mrs H could ever boast of... Last night was only family and later they told me stories about Franks and Fitzwilliams childhood at Leyland, about Miss Susans youth, her life in town.
This morning we made calls, wrote our letters, of which I had many piled up on my desk and later took a drive through the park with the gentlemen. Now I'm fatigued, but have to dress for dinner. No other guests tonight, but tea tomorrow at Miss B's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

© The Leyland Manor Diary, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena