November 8th, 1762

Supported by dear Jeremiah I talked with father today and got him thinking about Lord C's conduct. I related to both of them, what he had told me the day before yesterday the moment my parents thought him asking me for my hand. J acknowledged my story with his suspicions about Lord C's character. Father is determined to inquire into the matter. But as he gave Lord C his permission to court and propose and as it is by now public, he had me promise to allow him some time and not to cry off the engagement. At first I thought his request very sensible, but now I suppose it is only his fear of being compromised. Father always thinks about the family honour and sees it threatened by my idea of crying off a very suitable match.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

© The Leyland Manor Diary, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena